Friday, April 30, 2010
















































Lost in Juarez: Everything America touches turns to death?


Every day when I open my inbox, I get at least one press release from various American armed forces in Iraq,
letting me know that some insurgent there has just been killed or some AQI group has just been captured. Even now, over seven years after the Iraq occupation began, our troops are still out hunting and capturing insurgents and rebel groups there -- and the bombings are still going on. Does that mean that Iraq is still unstable? What else am I supposed to think? That constant stream of e-mails seals the deal.

Then we have Afghanistan, the world's most productive narco-state by far, source of most of the heroin on the market today. Heroin is deadly. Worldwide, how many addicts have died from overdoses or AIDS or violence resulting from their use of heroin that has been supplied by American-occupied Afghanistan? One million? Two million? I can't even begin to guess.

Palestine is another killing field that America finances. "Why are you always running off at the mouth about Palestine," I'm always asked. Why? Because Israel and Palestine would have worked out all their problems in a manner acceptable to both sides decades ago if America hasn't kept pouring gasoline on the fire in the form of weapons, weapons, weapons and more weapons.

And let's not forget to mention Pakistan, America's good ally which is now yet another killing field. And then there's Columbia, home of Latin America's longest-running bloody war on farmers and trade unionists, bought and paid for by America the beautiful.

"I would really like to go back and embed in Iraq," I keep telling my son Joe and my daughter Ashley, "but, frankly, I'm just not up to it physically -- the flight there is just too long for me. 20 hours in the air? Followed by days and days of jet-lag? Forget it. And I'd like to embed in Afghanistan too. And also go and report on the brutal siege of Gaza as well. I'd like to be everywhere in the world that the action is. I want to be able to see for myself -- up front and personal -- all of the places where America's treasury and America's future are all being pounded down into a bunch of bloody rat-holes."

I want to go where the blood flows, to bear witness and to send messages back to America that all this warfare and bloodshed and killing is not necessary, is a waste of time and money, does NOT make us safer, goes against every religion we believe in -- and doesn't even make sense.

But I'm getting less and less willing to face all the hassle of interminable plane rides across the globe and wearisome jet-lag that lingers for weeks.

"Hey, no problem," replied my friend Larry, who lives in Texas. "No need to travel to the other side of the world to see American violence and American weapon sales and American bloodshed in action. You can always just go down to Juarez."

Ah. So now there's also Juarez, bloody Juarez, to consider -- where people die as violently on the streets of Juarez as they die on the streets of Kandahar or Baghdad.

According to one CNN report, "Tim Crockett, head of the security firm Pioneer Consulting and security adviser for CNN, described Ciudad Juarez as 'probably more dangerous for journalists than the Middle East'." Probably more dangerous for journalists than even the Middle East? Yikes!

Remember back in 2007 when I embedded in Iraq and the Army told me that if I left the fortified Green Zone area and walked across the 14th of July Bridge into Baghdad itself, I'd most likely be dead within five minutes? Well, according to several articles that Larry just e-mailed me, there's almost exactly the same situation happening in Juarez right now. Juarez is a war zone. Juarez is a failed-narco-state. Juarez has insurgents, a military build-up of American weapons, American occupation advisers who run a surrogate war from DC and terrified citizens who keep turning up dead.

"But the beautiful thing about Juarez, Jane," continued Larry, "is that Juarez is only five miles from Texas. You could hop a plane in the morning, fly to El Paso without getting jet-lag, be inside a war zone in time for lunch -- and be getting your head blown off by dinnertime." Plus it wouldn't be too hard on my poor knees -- and I wouldn't be required to bring a flak jacket either. Sign me up!

PS: Here's a headline from a Los Angeles Times article that Larry sent me on the subject, just in case you think I might be exaggerating
: "Mexico under siege, the drug war at our doorstep."

The Times then goes on to state that 45,000 troops have been deployed so far and that 10,031 people have been killed. "That's more than the U.S. fatalities in the Iraq war." http://projects.latimes.com/mexico-drug-war/


And here are some more articles from Larry:

From the Overseas Security Advisory Cou
ncil: The U.S. State Department has issued a warning about Juarez. "Mexican cartels battling for control of drug trafficking routes cause widespread disruption in the city and state."
https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report.cfm?contentID=113317

From Current News: Gunmen murdered 19 people this weekend, including two U.S. citizens associated with the American consulate. http://current.com/news/92323550_in-juarez-mexico-gunmen-murdered-19-people-this-past-weekend-including-2-us-citizens.htm

And here the Huffington Post seems to be hinting that America is losing the drug war in Juarez as well. Shades of Afghanistan! I wonder how many drug addicts in the U.S. have died from drugs illegally imported by the Juarez cartels?

"Sinaloa takes over Cuidad Juarez: After a two-year battle that has killed more than 5,000 people, Mexico's most powerful kingpin now controls the coveted trafficking routes through Ciudad Juarez. That conclusion by U.S. intelligence adds to evidence that Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman's Sinaloa cartel is winning Mexico's drug war.... [The] Sinaloa cartel has edged out the rival Juarez gang for control over trafficking routes through Ciudad Juarez, ground zero in the drug war. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/09/sinaloa-takes-over-ciudad-juarez_n_531378.html

****

Please vote for me so that I can get a scholarship to the Netroots Nation convention in Las Vegas this July! Vote here: http://www.democracyforamerica.com/netroots_nation_scholarships/810-jane-stillwater