Fukushima: "If you knew sushi..."
OMG, I've just finished reading a really scary article about how even the seemingly-too-big-to-fail Pacific Ocean has become pretty much radioactive, thanks to a constant onslaught of 300 tons of nuclear-waste-contaminated water still pouring into it daily from Fukushima's damaged nuclear reactors http://thetruthwins.com/archives/28-signs-that-the-west-coast-is-being-absolutely-fried-with-nuclear-radiation-from-fukushima.
Here's a brief sample of power-points from that article, "28 signs that the West Coast is being absolutely fried with nuclear radiation from Fukushima":
4. Something is causing fish all along the west coast of Canada to bleed from their gills, bellies and eyeballs.
7. Experts have found very high levels of cesium-137 in plankton living in the waters of the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and the west coast.
8. One test in California found that 15 out of 15 bluefin tuna were contaminated with radiation from Fukushima.
11. Some experts believe that we could see very high levels of cancer along the west coast just from people eating contaminated fish…
18. According to a professor at Tokyo University, 3 gigabecquerels of cesium-137 are flowing into the port at Fukushima Daiichi every single day.
However, as deadly-nightmarish and horrendously future-threateningly-scary as this article may be, I'll bet you anything that it's not going to make even a small change to Americans' current thinking about the Pacific ocean, radioactivity in general or even eating tuna-fish sandwiches. Why not? Because whenever we Americans read about some sort of catastrophic generality like this, we tend to just shrug our shoulders and move on. "Nothing to see here, folks. Doesn't effect me."
This is the same kind of thinking that Americans have about climate change. We view it with alarm for about a nano-second generally -- but don't individually seem to mind a little warm weather in January as it applies to us personally. And then we happily continue to drive our gas-guzzling cars and let corporations pollute our air. "As long as it doesn't effect me..." But the Fukushima disaster IS effecting us now. Personally. Apparently there is now even radiation in our own freaking sushi!
Americans also don't seem to care if all those undepleted uranium bombs that War Street drops on Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine, Libya (and now Syria) cause horrible cancers and hideous birth defects on the other side of the world. "That doesn't effect me either."
But what if you love a good salmon dinner or some California rolls or a tuna-noodle casserole? Are horrible cancers and hideous birth defects going to follow you home now too?
And are you now going to have to bring a Geiger counter along with you whenever you go to the fish store to shop?
PS: Here's even further bad news about radioactivity in the Pacific, from a recent article in CounterPunch:
"There are three major problems at Fukushima:
1. Three reactor cores are missing [!!!???!!!];
2. Radiated water has been leaking from the plant in mass quantities for 2.5 years;
3. Eleven thousand spent nuclear fuel rods, perhaps the most dangerous things ever created by humans, are stored at the plant and need to be removed. 1,533 of those are in a very precarious and dangerous position. Each of these three could result in dramatic radiation events, unlike any radiation exposure humans have ever experienced." http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/10/25/the-global-threat-of-fukushima/
Holy sheep dookie! This means that the danger of an atomic explosion blowing up the planet is even greater now than it was way back in the 1950s! And the only difference between then and now seem to be that now it may actually be happening -- and also that, nowadays, nobody seems to care any more.
PPS: And while we're on the subject of slow and painful death, let's also talk about the Reagan-Clinton-Bush-Obama administration and their one big interconnected Endless War. Exactly how are we paying for all this endless and unnecessary blood-letting? Let me count the ways:
1. War Street gets all kinds of money for drones -- and that money comes directly from funds that should have gone to shore up America's crumbling infrastructure.
2. War profiteers receive a bottomless budget allowance to blow up and gravely injure hundreds of thousands of women and children in the Middle East -- and that money comes directly out of our budgets for medical care and hospitals here at home http://blackagendareport.com/content/beyond-spin-some-facts-about-affordable-care-act.
3. Wall Street sends American soldiers all over the world to act as its global corporations' extortionists, enforcers and thugs -- and this Mafia-like "protection" racket is paid for by drastic cuts to American veterans' benefits.
4. Israeli neo-cons get billions of $$$ to endlessly reign white phosphorus down on school children in Palestine http://www.usslibertyveterans.org/files/Title%2018%20Chapter%20118%20War%20Crimes.pdf -- and America's budget for schools here at home shrinks drastically in order to pay for this illegal and brutal Occupation.
5. Oil companies steal oil routinely from other countries by using "preemptive war" -- and Americans pay for these wars with $$$ cuts to our hometown fire department budgets and police funding. And now corporate lobbies are once again putting pressure on their (not our) Congressional representatives to make very serious cuts to our Social Security and MediCare in order to pay for even more endless wars for oil http://www.alternet.org/economy/nine-democratic-senators-side-gop-entitlement-cuts
6 thru 666. In the last 30 years, your lifestyle and my lifestyle have been greatly diminished in many many many other countless ways -- so that Wall Street and War Street can live out their fantasy lives of aggrandizement and wealth beyond our own wildest dreams. And this sordid list of money-grubbing by the wealthy shadow figures who have their greedy fingers clandestinely dipped into America's pockets goes on and on and on http://www.truth-out.org/buzzflash/commentary/item/18278-let-the-young-and-middle-aged-tea-partiers-pay-their-own-cash-for-parents-medical-care-and-retiremnt.
But at no point, ever, do the American people ever come out on top. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/denmark-happiest-country_n_4070761.html
Advertizements for myself: In these hard times of brutal (and illegal) corporatist ball-busting socialism-for-the-rich-only, I am doing whatever I can to make a spare dollar. Here are some of my current alternate-economy schemes that never seem to work -- but I keep hoping!
If anyone ever wants to hire me on as a travel writer (or war correspondent), "Have laptop, will travel!"
Need someone to help you throw out stuff? I'm really good at deciding what needs to be thrown out (starting with all those corporate-owned bums in Washington!)
Need an actor to play an older woman in your movie? Then I'm your man! I can portray all kinds of older women -- from judges, business execs and other insane zombies to bag ladies, cancer patients, kindly grandmothers and dying patients in rest homes. I've played them all. So send me a script and let's do this. Hollywood, here we come! Here's my reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C91uEYjLUXA
Are you a plaintiffs' attorney who is tired of writing those pesky personal injury settlement briefs all the time? No problem! I can write them for you. Years of experience. And pay me only if you win the case.
I recently got my Notary Public commission!
Need a Notary Public? Have seal, will travel. E-mail me at email@example.com and I'll stamp your document, make it official and only charge $10. Of course if you live outside of Berkeley, I may have to charge travel expenses -- but am well worth it!
I also wrote a book about going on Hajj (also included as a chapter in "Bring Your Own Flak Jacket," but this book is cheaper -- but it's worth buying them both!) My book on the Hajj is so outstanding that I bet even Christian fundamentalists will love it! Please buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Mecca-Hajj-Lessons-Islamic-School/dp/0978615700/ref=cm_rdp_product
"Imagine a world where EVERY child is wanted, nurtured, protected and loved: World peace in one generation!"You can now buy T-shirts, coffee mugs, tote bags, truckers' caps, baby gear and/or teddy bears with this logo printed on them. They make great gifts, especially for parents and teachers. To purchase, just click here:http://www.cafepress.com/StillTWaters
"Life is a competition. The winners are the ones who do the most good deeds." You can also buy T-shirts, coffee mugs, tote bags, truckers' caps, baby gear and/or teddy bears with this logo printed on them. They make great gifts, especially for those of us who are still idealists in these troubled times. To purchase, just click here: http://www.cafepress.com/StillTWaters