Saturday, August 19, 2006

Red Alert: Why is GWB hijacking our airlines?

"It takes hours to get through airport security," said my friend. "I'm staying home." I don't even have to write this article. That sentence says it all.

"You could drive?" I suggested. Not at $3.50 a gallon for gas.

Okay. You can't fly. You can't drive. So much for the global village, the travel industry and "America on the Go".

"There's still the train," I said, "but don't let Bush know -- or he'll start hijacking Amtrak too." And get Homeland Security to issue terror alerts for Trailways and Greyhound as well.

Why have so many of the Bush bureaucracy's policies systematically led up this -- America's Big Summer of Staying at Home? Why is Bush driving our airlines out of business? Why is Ford laying off workers like crazy and closing down plants? Why are gas prices skyrocketing? Why are bridge tolls going up? Why is our income so low, our taxes so high and our utility bills so expensive that we can't afford to go anywhere anyway? Why does a trip to Grandma's now cost an arm and a leg? Why does Motel 6 have to leave the light on for us all night long and we STILL don't show up?

Why has it suddenly become such a hassle to get from here to there?

And why are Americans putting up with it?

PS: I'm still about to crank up my 1990 Toyota and go off to the Nevada desert for the Burning Man festival over Labor Day. My 1990 Toyota gets 35 miles per gallon. Eat your heart out, Hummer owners!