Friday, February 24, 2023

History repeats itself: Dalton Trumbo, the Hollywood Blacklist & me

 

History repeats itself: Dalton Trumbo, the Hollywood Blacklist & me

     I'm a member of SAG-AFTRA, the actors' union.  Spent the last two weeks watching "screeners" so that I could vote for Best Actors to receive Academy Awards.  Screeners are free movies that the Screen Actors Guild sends to us every February so that we can vote.

     So I just spent the last two weeks watching Till, Wakanda Forever, The Good Nurse, George & Tammy, Tar, Top Gun Maverick, Avatar Way of Water, Women Talking, etc.  It's hard work but someone's gotta do it, right?

     To celebrate having cast my vote for Best Actor (Jessica Chastain of course), I went out to dinner with some film-industry friends.  During one particularly intense conversation over lobster pad thai curry, I started to complain about not getting any acting gigs.  "Here I am, a trained character-actor with a highly-photogenic face -- and yet I'm getting no work."

     Even being a member of SAG-AFTRA hasn't helped me score any gigs lately.

     Then a fellow-actor turned to me and said bluntly, "It's because of your politics."  Shut my mouth!

     What?

     Is this guy really saying that I'm not being employed in the film industry only because I'm all pissed off at government corruption, ruthless profit-gouging by Big Pharma, the Federal Reserve's disastrous Ponzi schemes, the Clinton-Trump-Biden sell-outs and the stupidest "war" ever fought over the right of some corrupt oligarch in a green T-shirt to keep his Swiss bank account padded with U.S. dollars while East Palestine, Ohio, is suffering from rotted infrastructure?  "Those politics?"

     "Exactly."

     Gee, I wish I'd been able to think fast enough to remind this guy about Dalton Trumbo, Senator Joe McCarthy and the Hollywood Blacklist back in the 1950s -- but I only thought of that scorching come-back the next morning.  But the guy was probably too young to remember when Hollywood actors were viciously persecuted for their hopes for a more perfect world anyway.

     See ya at the Oscars on March 12 -- or not.

Resources:

"Although the leaders of the motion picture studios had initially supported the Hollywood Ten, they soon denounced them, and the Hollywood Ten were suspended without pay.  Shortly thereafter it was announced that no subversive would be knowingly employed in Hollywood.  The Hollywood blacklist was born."  https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hollywood-blacklist

"Oscar winners, however, were partly shielded [from the Red Scare].  The odds of an Oscar-winning artist finding a job after a co-worker was blacklisted were reduced by 9%."  All I gotta do is win an Oscar!  https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/hollywoods-red-scare-spread-stigma-association

Scott Ritter talks about the decline of Democracy in America and corruption in Ukra$ne:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_dMAQ2viCg

Yes, we all know that Lefties hate Tucker Carlson but in this video he nails the data about vaccine-caused deaths:  https://www.bitchute.com/video/xjncFf5NzEQc/
 

******************

       Stop Wall Street, War Street, Big Pharma and Big Tech from destroying our world.  And while you're at it, please buy my books https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Stillwater/e/B00IW6O1RM%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share
 
I'm also trying to raise funds for my next research project -- in Bolivia!  Here's the link to my GiveSendGo account.  Please give even five or ten dollars?  This is important.  Don't make me beg!  Plus if you donate $50 or more, you will also get one of my books thrown in free.  https://givesendgo.com/Bolivianeedsme?utm_source=sharelink&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=Bolivianeedsme