Wednesday, July 07, 2010

































































The Alameda County Fair: "We had fun!"

"Let's go to the Alameda County Fair on Wednesday," said my daughter Ashley -- and I, of course, replied, "Yawn." But I was wrong. We went and had a really good time.

Not only was there a carnival with all the rides and monster foot-long corn dogs and all that kind of stuff but this really was a true county fair and there was pie judging and flower judging and demonstrations of gadgets that you never knew that you needed and quilt exhibits as well.

And there were also chickens. We bought chickens. We now have four chickens -- they were four for $20 (and also came with food). We named them Smokey Robinson, Sun Rocker, Mariqa Mustache and Scary Spice.

"Did you like the fair?" I asked my two-year-old granddaughter Mena.

"We had fun!" she replied. And we did.